Tuesday 22 January 2013

CoVILLE - SackVILLE - WolfVILLE

January 22nd 2013



     Today we talked about Alex Colville in Class. Most recent news about him was on CBC maritime news.  
       
"Rhoda Colville wife and muse of Alex Colville for 70 years died couple weeks ago at their home in Wolfville. She went on to study fine art at Mount Allison University in Sackville where she met Alex. They got married in Wolfville in 1942."

     I think Alex Coville is one of the few artists that I have known who had a long happy marriage. I think that influenced his art a lot. No matter what kind of subject matter or colour theme of his works. I had always found peacefulness in them. In China people always say that without a good home (which is the foundation of your life), you cannot be successful. 

     Even though, I admire his extremely detailed brush work and his patient (he only made one or two pieces per year), but most of Colville’s work doesn't really speak to me. Expect the Seven Crows.






Seven Crows 1980
Acrylic polymer emulsion on hardboard
60 x 120 cm
Owens Art Gallery Mount Allison University, Sackville NB
Gift of Mr. Ross B.
     



  I have always remembered the feeling from the very first time I saw Seven Crows. This paint was hanged on top of the fireplace in presentment's house. As soon as I walked it just captured my eye, it was not the brightest painting in the room but the sharp image just made me zoom in to it and I felt these crows were really flying. Seriously, I felt I could hear a deep calm music played in the back of my head. When I walked close I couldn't figure out what kind of painting skill is it. There was too much to look at and I had realized that the sharp image from far was build up by little dots.  This image could not get out of my mind for days.

     Crow is always representing bad luck in China but I always loved them. Not only because of their beautiful black coat but also crow is the only bird that would come back take care of their parents when they got old. I guess the painting shocked me not only because it's emotion but also that was my first time saw a crow painting hanged in people's home. I saw that painting many times after that in different place but I had never paid any attention to who was the painter so I couldn't look up on internet. Therefore, every time I saw it somewhere always gave me the same feeling like the first time I saw it. 


    
    

5 comments:

  1. I love this painting too. I saw it at the Owen's when I visited Sarah.

    I like your blog. What happened to the watercoloured paper on the background? I liked it!

    Pam (Sarah's mum)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a surprise. Didn't know you read my blog before. I like the watercolor background too. But I found it is too busy when I post art work at the same time. ..... I am soo nerves now......you are a writer...... Does my sentence make sense to you?!!!!!!

      Delete
  2. I found you Bonny! I love what you expressed about the family being the foundation of success. I love birds but in particular crows and ravens. Yes crows morn one another when another dies or is injured they are very intelligent birds and can recognize faces and use tools.

    Yes Bonny, I feel much the same way about this painting as you do. The scene I greatly relate to because it could be where I live. It is something I often see over the Apple River marsh, out my studio window.
    You speak from your heart Bonny in your blog, that's what is important, you get your messages across! Your writing will just get better with and regular practice and time. The more you do it the better you will get. Practice journaling long hand, and you will see a difference as well. Share your writing and get feed back this helps a lot! I very happy you are blogging!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just shocked the other day when I was looking for this painting the first one pop out was your blog. I had start this blog for art history class but I start really like it because I could document my ideas here. I think it is very important for artists. I am glad I have blog now, but it is very hard to write on it every day. :P

      Delete
  3. good work bonny. this is a magnificent painting. could the peacefulness you saw in the painting possibly from the tantramar landscape and the ultra-realism from distance? and yet the painting is exciting maybe because the crows sets the scene in motion.

    ReplyDelete